The Art Gallery of Smolyan was founded in 1964. The same year was the opening of its first exhibition. In 1983 our gallery moves to its new home – a new, modern, especially designed building which is part of the Cultural Complex in our town – the Museum, The Library and the Art Gallery. There are seven exhibition rooms in our gallery on a total area of about 1000 sq. m., studios, work rooms for restoration and conservation of the works of art a store house and administrative part of the building.
The Art Gallery owns over 2000 pieces of works of art – paintings, graphics, sculptures made by Bulgarian and foreign artists. The permanent exhibition in our gallery makes possible the tracing out of the stages, trends and tendencies in the development of Bulgarian Fine Arts – by the main styles, leading names and significant works of artists of different generations. The aspect of the Smolyan Art Gallery is determined by the works devoted to the Rhodope region.
The emphasized presence of the Rhodope theme, widely understood – like nature, historical memory, and modern times is typical of the different genres and theme collections, which Art Gallery Smolyan periodically shows in public. We own a big collection of works of art whose authors are born in Smolyan
and living here in the Rhodope region. Most of them have left a remarkable trace in our national culture.Their works are shown in a specific room – „The Rodope Hall“.